For all my ranch and avocado lovers out there, you are in for a treat today! I have here the ultimate Avocado Ranch Dressing. Trust me, after you try this you will never buy the bottle stuff again. This preservative free dressing is creamy, tangy, and FULL of flavor thanks to the use of fresh herbs and spices. It’s even got a little kick o it thanks to the fresh garlic but it’s nothing too overpowering. Do you want to know the best part? It literally takes minutes to prepare AND all you need is a basic blender. That’s right– no chopping, dicing or tons of dirty dishes afterwards! the best part is that it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and the only tool you need is a blender. that’s right, no chopping or dirt dishes necessary! This guilt free dressing is perfect for salads, dipping crudite, chicken wing or pizza.
The base of our dressing is comprised of mayonnaise, greek yogurt, buttermilk. The mayonnaise acts as the emulsifier while the yogurt and buttermilk are thickening agents and also provide some tang. Normally you will find that ranch dressing calls for sour cream but in order to save some calories, I decided to swap it out and use greek yogurt instead. Both the sour cream and the yogurt are similar in consistency and taste so it works here. I do not recommend using regular yogurt because it is not as creamy, thick or smooth.
Now that we have the base of our dressing, let’s work on adding flavor! To do that, I’ll be using lots of fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. Parsley, garlic, lime, salt and pepper are my go to ingredients when making Ranch Dressing but you can certainly add whatever you like. A touch of olive oil would be a great addition to this dish because it will add flavor and help bring out the natural flavors of the other ingredients. You can also add chives or scallions for added flavor. Or, leave out the parsley and add the chives (or whatever herbs you like) instead.
And finally, there’s the avocado! You can’t forget the avocado in the Avocado Ranch Dressing. The avocado not only adds creaminess to the dish but its neutral flavor makes it very versatile and ideal for dips, sauces and puddings. In the recipe specifically, the avocado helps calm down some of the spiciness for the garlic. Oh! Did I mention that avocados are packed with vitamins and nutrients? Well the are! Avocados are good for the heart, brain, skin and the can also help regulate blood pressure and lower cholesterol.
- 3/4 cups of mayonnaise
- 3/4 cups of greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1/2-3/4 cup of buttermilk (for a thicker dressing add less buttermilk)
- 1 avocado
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley (or herb of choice)
- 1-3 garlic cloves (use less if you don’t want it as spicy)
- Juice of 1/2 lime (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients with 1/2 cup of buttermilk in a blender and blend. Check consistency , adjust flavors and blend in additional buttermilk if desired. Less buttermilk for a dipping sauce and more for a dressing.
- Store in an air-tight jar in the fridge.
*Devoted Foodie Tips*
- Depending on the type of greek yogurt you use, there may be some difference in the viscosity. If you notice that you greek yogurt contains a lot of water I recommend straining it before adding it to the blender.
- For a thicker consistency you could also add (xanthan) gum to the yogurt mixture.
- To make plain Ranch Dressing, leave out the avocado. Keep in mind that the fresh parsley will turn your dressing green. If that is a problem, you can chopped the parsley by hand and mix it in at the very end OR use dried parsley.
- Have fun with it! Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices to this dressing.
Be sure to come back on Wednesday to see how I use this Avocado Ranch Dressing in a new recipe 🙂