This is the perfect guilt-free breakfast for those of us looking for something quick and easy. This Spiced Date and Banana Oat Smoothie is creamy, naturally sweet thanks to the dates aka nature’s candy, and very satisfying!
How many times do you hear people say, “Don’t skip breakfast, it’s the most important meal of the day”. While the is some debate on whether or not breakfast is really the most important meal of the day, research does prove that we need to eat a healthy breakfast to perform our best throughout the day. Think about it, breakfast, “break” “fast”. As it’s implied, the goal is to break the fast. You just slept for 8 hours (some may get in more or less hours), when you wake up, your body needs the fuel you get from food to help power up your brain cells and muscles. This is especially true for young children who are still growing. Eating a healthy breakfast can help them stay alert in class and perform better on tests.
But, like me, I’m sure many of you lead very busy lives. So while you know you should eat breakfast, you find yourself fighting against the clock to make it your destination on time. You need something quick and convenient. Well, I have the solution—smoothies, Date and Banana Oat Smoothie.
Smoothies in general are a great way to get a nutritious meal in the morning. Why?
- It’s a great way to sneak in fruits and vegetables in our diet. Trust me, your smoothie might turn out a weird color but chances are you won’t even taste the vegetable. Nutritious
- You can prep everything the night before, store it in the fridge and blend it the next morning. Quick, easy
- You can take it with you on the go. Convenient
Date and Banana Oat Smoothie (makes about 3 cups)
- 2 cups of almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- ½ cup of oatmeal
- 5 Medjool dates
- ½ banana
- Dash of cinnamon and anise (optional but highly recommended)
- 2 teaspoons of chia seeds (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smoothie. Enjoy!
*Devoted Foodie Notes and Tips*
- Make sure there is liquid around the blade this will ensure your drink is silky smooth.
- Dates have many health benefits but they are naturally high in sugar. Depending on the ripeness of your banana, you may want to use less dates.
- If time allows, it is best to soak your dates. This is especially helpful if you have a low power blender.
- If you prefer a chilled smoothie, freeze your banana. This may change the consistency of your smoothie therefore you may need to add more milk.
- Adjust milk quantity to get the perfect smoothie consistency for you.
- The smoothie will get thicker the longer it sits.
Be sure to come back on Wednesday to see how I transform this recipe 🙂
What is your go to breakfast?
What is your favorite smoothie combination?